Paired with an IPA
Good morning, everyone! Long time, no talk! I hope all of you are well and have been enjoying the month of May. I apologize for being so absent lately. As soon as the semester ended, things got a little crazy. Zach and I traveled back east to visit family for a couple of weeks, and we have just been going, going, going since then. We had a wonderful trip, and were able to work a small trip to Asheville, NC and Nashville on the drive back (yes we drove). Before we left for our trip, we whipped up these spicy corn and chicken fajitas. I have been dreaming about them ever since.
You could wrap anything up in a flour or corn tortilla and I would love it. Fajitas are no different. What I love most about fajitas is how super creative you can get with them. They are so simple and you can really spice them up anyway you like. I like to keep my fajitas true to whatever is in season. Summer is upon us, and these fajitas are just bursting with summeriness!
I am obsessed with these fajitas as summer is upon us. They are popping with flavor and really puts those fresh summer veggies to use. Make them ASAP! Your family will love you for it!
Beer I think the reasons are pretty obvious on why I decided to pair these fajitas with an IPA. They are definitely spicy, as fajitas should be! IPAs pair so well with spicy foods, and this pairing is no different. The real decision is whether or not to pair these fajitas with a danky, earthy IPA or an IPA that is heavy on the citrus notes. I honestly think either one could work, but because these fajitas are on the earthy side because of the mushrooms and peppers, I thought that an earthier IPA would work better. If citrusy IPAs are more your thing, than that would also make a decent pairing!
Spicy Corn and Chicken Fajitas
Prep time include 1 hour of inactive marinating time.
1 hr, 10 Prep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 40 Total Time
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from half a lime
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used white button)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- juice from half a lime
- flour tortillas, warmed slightly
- Serve with: sour cream, cotija cheese, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, ground cumin and kosher salt. Set aside.
- To a large ziploc bag, combine the chicken, olive oil, juice from half a lime, and the spice blend. Seal completely and rub the ingredients into the chicken. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- To a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat, add a drizzle of oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add the corn kernels, red bell pepper, butter, and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onions and remaining juice from half a lime. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In another nonstick skillet set over medium heat, add another drizzle of oil. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and slice into strips. Place the chicken in the preheated pan. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Stir in the veggie mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve your fajitas on warmed flour tortillas topped with sour cream, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Enjoy!