Paired with a Hefeweizen
Avocado and Chorizo Breakfast Taquitos
Beer I love a good Hefeweizen with breakfast-related recipes. They aren’t usually overly hoppy or malty. They are just right and will sometimes even have a slight banana flavor. If you are looking for another pairing, I think a Pilsner would also be a perfectly acceptable option.
Side Because these taquitos can be served as a breakfast recipe or an appetizer recipe, there are a few sides that would be perfect to pair with them. This ranch-style guacamole is the perfect dip for this recipe! I also find that salads are the perfect pairings for these taquitos. This grilled corn and avocado salad is my favorite salad to pair with Mexican-inspired breakfast dishes!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 pound loose chorizo sausage
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, finely minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and black pepper
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 8-10 medium-sized soft corn or flour tortillas
- Serve with: avocado crema (recipe below), chopped romaine lettuce, heirloom cherry tomatoes, crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/2 avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray it with a nonstick spray and set aside.
- Add the chorizo to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add the jalapeno and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and a dash of salt and black pepper. Heat a second large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with a nonstick spray, and add the eggs. Scramble the eggs until they are just done, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Have your assembly line ready by laying out your chorizo, eggs, mashed avocado, queso fresco cheese, and cilantro leaves. Heat the tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until they are pliable (meaning they don't crack when you roll them). On one side of each tortilla, layer the avocado, chorizo, eggs, queso fresco, and a couple of cilantro leave. Roll each tortilla up, and lay them seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top with nonstick spray. Place the taquitos in the oven and bake them for 10-12 minutes or until they are just beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare your avocado crema. To a food processor, add the 1/2 of an avocado, sour cream, milk, and a dash of salt and black pepper. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the taquitos from the oven and allow them to cool for just a couple of minutes. Serve the taquitos with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado crema, and crumbled queso fresco cheese. Enjoy immediately!
These breakfast taquitos can easily be frozen. Just assemble them as you normally would then freeze. When you are ready to eat them, transfer them immediately to a baking sheet and add 10 minutes of cooking time so that the taquitos can defrost.