Paired with an IPA
One thing I have been trying to do since the New Year began, is trying to stick to routines. I’ve been trying to keep blog-related recipes separate from my everyday dinner recipes. I enjoy cooking, if that wasn’t already obvious, but when you cook for your job sometimes you lose sight of why you love it so much. I struggled with this in 2015. We ate way too many dinners that were also blog posts and it took away from the enjoyment of cooking dinner, as it was actually just work in the end.
As I continue to try to separate work from home, taco Tuesday has always proven to be the toughest to tackle. Every time taco Tuesday rolled around, I would say to Zach, “I HAVE TO SHARE THIS RECIPE.” As a result, I scramble around trying to get everything set up so that I can snap some photos. This ultimately takes away from the greatness that is making dinner just for the sake of making dinner. This year, I have decided that even if I am obsessed with a recipe, I will make it a second time later down the road for work. This plan has actually worked so far you guys, and these slow cooker salsa verde chicken tacos are proof of that! I’m also super excited that I finally get to share the recipe with you guys!
I hope you guys enjoy these slow cooker salsa verde chicken tacos! They are one of our favorite taco recipes! Pair them with an IPA! It will really tone down that spiciness!
15 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1½ cups jarred salsa verde
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced finely
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from canned chilies in adobo)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 12-14 corn or flour tortillas, warmed through
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- To your slow cooker, add the chicken, cream cheese, salsa verde, and salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. After it has cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Transfer it back to the slow cooker and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare your slaw and chipotle sauce. In a medium bowl, toss the red cabbage, serrano pepper, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, and a dash of salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- To prepare the chipotle sauce, whisk the sour cream, adobo sauce, and chipotle chili powder in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Assemble the tacos, by spreading a thin layer of the chipotle sauce on warmed through tortillas. Top with salsa verde chicken, red cabbage slaw and a sprinkling of queso fresco cheese and cilantro.
- Enjoy immediately!