Paired with an English-Style IPA
Good morning, everyone! Let’s be honest for a second. I definitely start preparing for Thanksgiving and fall-themed food for the following year the second Thanksgiving dinner ends. I just can’t help myself. Fall foods are normally so comforting, warming, and hearty. Mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and apple pies are just a few of my favorite things. I seriously could just go on and on about all of the autumn recipes I’m obsessed with.
Since I like to keep things short and sweet on this here blog, I’ll save you guys the rambling sesh I was planning. Case in point…I love fall foods.
I think a common misconception when thinking about fall foods, is automatically jumping to the conclusion that they’re heavy and not-so-good for you. I think salads are a great way to celebrate fall flavors without pushing the envelope in calories. This potato and beet salad is a must-have fall salad. Roasted potatoes keep the dish on the hearty side, but the fresh greens, roasted beets and light mustard vinaigrette keeps it fresh. Maple syrup brings in some sweetness and fall-flavored notes. Make it soon and you will love it. I promise!
Pair this potato and beet salad with an English-style IPA. Have a great Tuesday! xo
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 15 Cook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 pound beets (I used a mixture of Candystripe and Golden beets), peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh greens (I used a combination of arugula, baby kale and spinach)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. To a large bowl, combine the beets, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar. Season with sea salt and black pepper and toss to combine. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While the beets are cooling, prepare your potatoes. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sea salt and black pepper. Pour the mixture onto another baking sheet that has been lined with foil. Place them in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes or until tender and golden. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, mustard, horseradish and honey. Add the potatoes, greens, green onion and parsley to the bowl. Toss to combine. Then gently fold in the roasted beets.
- Serve the beet salad topped with sliced almonds and with mascarpone cheese alongside. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.