Paired with an IPA
Hi there, everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful week and are looking forward to the weekend! Because I will be gone for the rest of July and most of August, I decided that I would go back through some of my old recipes that I have contributed to other blogs years ago and publish them on my website. Not only does this keep me from pulling my hair out as I get ready for my trip across the pond, but it also makes things easier for you guys! You only have to click once to get the recipe! So yay for that!
Let me give you a little bit of background on these barbecue chicken and cauliflower couscous bowls. I still make these bowls you guys. You all probably already know about my obsession with all things bowl-related, and these cauliflower couscous bowls were one of my first bowl recipes on the blog. These bowls made way for weekly bowl nights for Zach and I, and I never looked back. What I love most about these bowls is the cauliflower couscous. It is amazing how much cauliflower can resemble traditional couscous both in texture and flavor if prepared correctly. Not only does it add the perfect dimension of flavor to these bowls, it has so much delicious flavor that I make it on a weekly basis now. Also, it’s SUPER easy to make. I love when things are easy. ;)
These barbecue chicken and cauliflower couscous bowls are one of my favorite recipes. Pair them with an IPA and enjoy!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut-in-half lengthwise to produce 4 equal pieces
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups Swiss chard, stemmed and loosely chopped
- ½ cup roasted and salted sliced almonds
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the barbecue sauce, orange juice and soy sauce. Add the chicken breasts and toss to fully coat. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse 5-6 times are until the cauliflower takes on the texture of couscous. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic powder and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro. Cover and set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium to medium-high heat. Grease the grill and then add the chicken. Cook, brushing occasionally with additional marinade, until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Flip the chicken about halfway through cooking time. Remove from heat and set aside to rest while you prepare your Swiss chard.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes, until fragrant. Add the Swiss chard and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted and warm. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Assemble your bowls, by layering sliced chicken breast and Swiss chard over a bed of cauliflower couscous. Sprinkle with almonds and enjoy immediately!