Paired with a Pilsner
Hi, friends! How is everyone’s weekend going?? As per usual, it’s pretty low-key around here. It’s kind of like the calm before the storm. July will prove to be just as busy as May, so I’m getting in all of the spring and summer relaxation hours I can!
As a result, I have been cooking up a storm lately; and I’m totally not sad about it. I like when I can hang out at home cooking, photographing and writing. It’s a less stressful kind of life, and I love it. It’s the little things that make us happy right?
These avocado ranch chicken salad lettuce cups were a result of “we have to use up all of our pantry items Zach! I’m not moving them with us!” That’s basically the conversation we had. As we get ready to move in the next month, I want to get rid of as much food as humanly possible. We have so much left in our pantry, refrigerator and freezer. It will be a small victory if I’m not 800 pounds by the end of June.
I’m totally not upset about having to use up all of these food items. These chicken salad lettuce cups were born, and they were delicious! I’m totally hit or miss when it comes to lettuce cups. I’ve had some truly amazing ones, and some terribly awful ones. I think it all comes down to the lettuce you use. I think Boston lettuce is really your best bet. It has a nice large leaf. It is sturdy, and it takes some serious work to tear it. It’s a fairly popular food item, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for you to find.
Recipe for these avocado ranch chicken salad lettuce cups is below. Pair them with a lighter brew, like a pilsner or something similar. It’s the prefect summertime meal! Have a wonderful Sunday! xo
Yields 12 lettuce cups
Cooking Time: The amount of time you will need to cook the chicken and bacon, which is not provided in the instructions below. Store-bought rotisserie chicken may be substituted.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 of an avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped
- 2 fully-cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, shredded or chopped small
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 green onions, white and green parts sliced thin
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted, diced
- 1 large head Boston lettuce (Bibb or something similar may be substituted)
- In the pitcher of your blender, add the avocado, sour cream, mayo, buttermilk, dill, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Blend on medium-high for about a minute or until the mixture comes together and is creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the avocado ranch dressing, bacon, chicken, tomatoes and green onions. Fold the ingredients together until they just come together. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Very gently fold in the avocado, making sure not to smash them into the chicken salad.
- Scoop the chicken salad onto the Boston lettuce. Wrap them up and eat immediately! Enjoy!