To say that I was excited to post this s’mores affogato recipe would be quite the understatement. My obsession with coffee runs deep, and my obsession with ice cream runs even deeper. I remember the first time Zach made me an affogato. That was it. I was done for. Zach is quite the barista. I’d call myself pretty lucky to have a latte or cappuccino waiting for me every morning when I wake up, since my skills with an espresso machine are non-existent and I usually settle for French press (if you can call that settling – I don’t know). We started brainstorming, and thought to ourselves, “have we ever seen a s’mores affogato?” The answer was no, and the result … well it was just magnificent.
Now, you all probably already know that I’m not the tutorial/step-by-step type. I blame my laziness. I can’t seem to get photos of the process, and when I do get photos they are just god awful. This s’mores affogato recipe on the other hand was a super simple one to photograph, so I thought I’d give it a shot! I intended that pun. Muahaha.
First things first, scoop the ice cream into two mugs (4 ounces each). I know…so tough. I’m really outdoing myself here.
I chose a mocha, almond, fudge ice cream. Dreyer’s® makes a spectacular one if you are looking for specifics.
Second, comes the pouring of the espresso part. I used French press for this recipe because I wanted a shot of a French press in this photo, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love French press on a normal basis. It’s my go-to when Zach isn’t around to make me a latte. You may use drip coffee. It just won’t be as strong as it would be if it came from a French press or espresso machine (or other espresso making device).
Pour a 1/2 cup of coffee into each mug, and just watch the steam. It’s just so pretty.
Oh, coffee. How I adore you so.
Third, dollop on your marshmallow whipped cream. It’s a simple recipe (recipe is below). Heavy whipping cream and a dash of confectioner’s sugar is whipped to soft peaks and then marshmallows are folded in.
Yeah, I know.
Lastly, sprinkle on that crunch. Graham cracker crumbs make for the perfect garnish. I say 2 tablespoons in the recipe (1 tablespoon per serving), but I’m pretty sure the last time I made this recipe I dumped 1/4 cup.
I’m not sad about this.
Recipe is below! Enjoy and have a great Monday! xo
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup brewed espresso (drip coffee or French Press may be substituted - SEE NOTE)
- 8 ounces mocha ice cream (I used a mocha, almond, fudge ice cream)
- 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with whisk attachment fixed, add the heavy whipping cream and the confectioner's sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Fold in the marshmallows and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble your s'mores affogato by placing 4 ounces of ice cream into 2 coffee cups. Pour 1/2 cup of espresso into each cup and then dollop with the marshmallow whipped cream. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Cook Time = Coffee Brewing Time I used French Press for this recipe, but normally I would use espresso. If you are using drip coffee, you may need more than 1 cup as it's usually not as strong as French Press or espresso tend to be.