I had originally made these breakfast potatoes to accompany my Fruit and Veggie Eggs Benedict, but when I finished them and tried them for the first time, I came to the conclusion that I could eat these potatoes anytime, day and night. I am not a huge fan of breakfast potatoes, so my goal for this recipe was to create something that I would enjoy. I absolutely love turnips, and if I can make mashed potatoes with a mixture of potatoes and turnips, why can’t I make breakfast potatoes with potatoes and turnips. That’s just what I did, and the result was a delicious addition to any breakfast! I hope you enjoy!
Breakfast Potatoes with Red Potatoes and Turnips
- 12 small, red potatoes, diced into half inch cubes
- 2 large turnips, diced into half inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs marjoram, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons red cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. On a baking sheet drizzle a tablespoon of two of olive oil. Add the chopped red potatoes and turnips and toss in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. When there is about 10 minutes left for your potatoes to cook, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil and add the shallot. Allow the shallot to sweat for a minute or two, then add the jalapeño, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Allow the peppers to cook for a minute or two, then add the garlic and a dash more of salt and pepper. Remove the potatoes and turnips from the oven, and immediately add to the pepper and shallot mixture on the stovetop. Add the marjoram. Season with a bit more salt and pepper and the cayenne pepper. Fry the potatoes until they have reached a golden color. This should only take about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately, or stick in a warm place until ready to serve. Enjoy!