Paired with a Brown Ale
Boy is this week flying by. I can not believe it’s already Wednesday. I spent the first couple of days in Yellowstone this week, and I made this potato salad before I left. I have seriously been craving it ever since I made it. Because Yellowstone is such a “picnicky” place, I have been having dreams of this potato salad. It would be the perfect accompanying side dish for such an occasion for a nice and juicy cheeseburger. Now, this isn’t your everyday potato salad. I made a huge batch of pimento cheese last week and thought that I should put it to use in some creative ways. This potato salad was born. It is bursting with flavor and texture. The sweet pickles really give it some zingy flavor. This one is a winner you guys.
Add this recipe to your picnic menu plans this summer. Your guests will seriously love you for it. Enjoy!
Beer There’s just something I love about pairing potatoes with brown ales. Normally I would pair recipe that I make in the summer with beers that are friendly for summer pairings. It’s not that I believe brown ales don’t belong to be served in the summer, but they tend to be better in the cooler months of the year. I couldn’t help it though. A brown ale is the perfect pairing for this potato salad. I don’t love insanely hoppy beers with pickles and pickled items. I tend to gravitate towards the maltier brews, so be careful as you pick out your brown ale. Brown ales can have a heavy hop character depending on whose brewing them. If you like hoppier beers with pickled foods, then go for a hoppier brown ale! My suggestion would be to keep it as malty as possible!
Sweet Pickle Pimento Cheese Potato Salad
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup pimento cheese (see below)
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sweet pickles, diced or sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large pot. Fill with just enough water that the potatoes are submerged. Salt the water and place it over high heat. Bring to a boil, and boil the potatoes until they are just tender. Remove from heat, drain and refrigerate while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pimento cheese, mayo, relish, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, pickles, celery, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and dill. Pour the dressing on top and toss evenly to coat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate the potato salad until you are ready to serve.
- Pimento Cheese: In a medium bowl, stir together 4 ounces cream cheese, one small jar diced pimentos with juice, 1/2 cup of mayo, 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese - shredded, 1 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded, pinch of paprika. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.