Paired with a Porter
I have another video for you guys today! Yay! I definitely think there can be some improvements made, but if I do say so myself, I think that it’s a pretty good start don’t you think? This time the video is a bit longer and provides that the recipe is a bit more labor intensive than the salsa recipe I posted on Tuesday. Don’t let the minimal amount of work scare you though. This recipe is super simple and the slow cooker does most of the work for you!
I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Taco Tuesday than with these slow cooker barbecue chicken tacos. They are amazing you guys. The chicken itself is just perfect, but the salsa on top is quite figuratively the icing on top. It adds a pop of brightness that these tacos desperately need. The crunch from the red cabbage, the creaminess from the mashed avocado and sour cream, and the tang from the cotija cheese really brings this recipe together. It’s perfect in so many amazing ways!
I hope you guys love this recipe as much as I do. Video and recipe is below. Enjoy!
Beer Normally I wouldn’t pair a lighter dish like a taco dish with a porter, but I love the flavors you get when you pair the barbecue chicken with this style of beer. There are definitely a couple of ways you could go with this pairing. I think an IPA would work really well as you definitely get some heat from the salsa. I also think the brightness of a saison would really enhance the fruity flavors from the salsa, but when it comes down to it I love a porter with this barbecue chicken. As the chicken is definitely has the dominating flavors in this dish, I think a porter is the perfect way to go!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Tacos
Yields 15 tacos
15 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 15 Total Time
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and stem removed, minced (divided)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- zest and juice from one lime
- zest and juice from one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fire-roasted tomatoes (from can)
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
- corn or flour tortillas, charred or warmed slightly
- 2 avocados, mashed with some salt, pepper and lime juice
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In your slow cooker, add the chicken thighs, barbecue sauce, 1 jalapeño pepper, garlic, zest and juice from one lime, zest and juice from one orange, cumin, and salt and black pepper to taste. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hour or until the chicken is tender and shreds apart easily. Shred the chicken with two forks and keep the slow cooker set to warm while you prepare your other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, add the tomatoes, mango, pineapple, red onion, green onion, lime juice, remaining jalapeño, cilantro, and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Assemble your tacos by layering mashed avocado, barbecue chicken, salsa, red cabbage, sour cream, and cilantro on a charred tortilla.
- Enjoy immediately!