Zach and I have been eating a lot of heavy things lately, so tonight we decided to mix it up and prepare a light summer salad packed full of fresh fruits and veggies! Now we aren’t sure about you all on the East coast, but in the West to Mid-West, Mango Nectarines are just coming into season. This juicy fruit is delicious all by itself, but when cut up and put on a salad or transformed into a sultry vinaigrette it’s flavors take on a whole new meaning! We livened up this recipe with garlic and lime shrimp with a touch of cilantro so read ahead for a scrumptious, yet healthy and light dinner option!
We start off with a basic bed of greens. A mixture of spinach, red and green leaf lettuce will work just fine. We then top it with a mixture of strawberries, mango nectarines, toasted pine nuts, cucumbers, and more. After the shrimp has been sautéed, we drizzle with our very own Mango Nectarine Vinaigrette and serve and not only do our tummies feel satisfied, but so do our minds!
For this meal, we decided to pair it with a Berliner Weisse. Dogfish Head makes a great one with their Festina Peche which can be found in the early summer months. This Berliner Weisse pairs well with this light summer salad because it has a tart, sour taste that goes well with the tartness from the citric acid from the fruits. The peach in this beer isn’t pungent, but subtle. It has just enough flavor to bring out the sweetness of the tart fruits.
We hope you enjoy just as much as we did!
- juice from 2 limes
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 half pound 26-30 shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- 2 to 4 cups fresh greens
- 2 roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1/4 cup sugar snap peas, release from their pods
- 1 small cucumber, sliced down the middle, then in half
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- 2 mango nectarines, cored and sliced into six equal slices
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 cup Mango Nectarine Vinaigrette
- 2 large strawberries, stems/green removed
- 2 mango nectarines, core removed and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, garlic, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and salt. Pour the mixture into a 1 quart resealable bag. Add the deveined shrimp to the bag, mix and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your salad fixings. Start building your salads after you have finished your chopping. This can be assembled any way you like, but be sure to get the greens, tomatoes, peas, mango nectarines, pine nuts, strawberries, cheese, and cucumbers all on the plate! See below for how we assembled!
- Once the salad has been assembled, you can take your shrimp out of the fridge and prepare to sauté them. You want to have the salads ready because shrimp, especially smaller shrimp, cook very quickly.
- Heat a saute pan over medium to high heat and drizzle with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Then individually, being careful not to crowd the pan, place the shrimp in the pan. Turn once after 60 to 90 seconds. After another 60 to 90 seconds remove from the pan. They should begin to brown when you pull them from the pan. Serve immediately atop the salad, and drizzle with the Mango Nectarine Vinaigrette. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
- For the sauce, In a food processor, add the strawberries, mango nectarines, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Puree until combined and there are no chunks of fruit left. As the mixture is pureeing, slowly add the extra virgin olive oil. Remove and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add more salt if needed.